The 2017 Champion’s Cup is finally here! After a bye week, the much awaited show down between the National Lacrosse League’s two top seeds begins Sunday from Georgia.
Saskatchewan and the Swarm met just once in the regular season all the way back in January. Georgia won that tilt 18-10, however, the Rush were without starting goaltender Aaron Bold. Both clubs have evolved since the meeting, and this Best-of-Three series is truly a pick’em.
Points of Interest:
- Georgia (266) and Saskatchewan (231) finished 1st and 2nd in league scoring
- In goals against the Rush allowed the 3rd fewest (212), while the Swarm were 4th (213)
- Home turf advantage is real – Saskatchewan (8-1), Georgia (7-2)
- The two top scorers in the NLL are on these teams
- Swarm’s Lyle Thompson (45-goals, 71-assists, 116-points)
- Rush’s Mark Matthews (40-goals, 73-assists, 113-points)
- Both clubs are rock solid in net
- Georgia’s Mike Poulin (11.77 GAA, .781 save %)
- Saskatchewan’s Aaron Bold (11.22 GAA, .764 save %)
What can the “X-Factors” be for two teams so evenly matched? My NLLTV broadcast partner Brian Shanahan and I discussed what fans should watch out for.
NLL Champion’s Cup Schedule
Game 1 – Rush at Swarm: Sun. June 4 at 5:05pm ET
Game 2 – Swarm at Rush: Sat. June 10 at 9:30pm ET
Game 3 (if necessary) – Rush at Swarm: Sun. June 18 at 5:05pm ET
Andy McNamara has been a play-by-play commentator for the NLL on TSN, NLLTV.com, and world lacrosse tournaments since 2011. He’s also a sport talk host and anchor on TSN 1050 sports radio. Follow Andy on twitter @AndyMc81.