Check out the updated NLL Rookie Report by Bob Chavez on IL Indoor after a crazy weekend of National Lacrosse League action where tons of first-year pros hit the turf to help their teams make a run in the playoff race. Read preview below and click the link for the complete list of players highlighted on Inside Lacrosse.
“Busy, busy, busy. That’s what having 8 games played in Week 14 of the National Lacrosse League season does for you, and make no mistake, there was plenty to keep our eyes on,” Chavez writes. “But for this particular purpose, we’re watching the rookies of the NLL. There were plenty of producers over the weekend but one thing became abundantly clear: Edmonton’s Ben McIntosh is the clear leader when it comes to top rooks for 2015. Let’s take a look to see how all of them did over the weekend.”
2) Miles Thompson (Minnesota Swarm): The right-handed forward out of Onondaga Nation had 1 goal and 2 assists in Friday’s home win over New England, while also scooping an impressive 9 loose balls. In Saturday’s road loss to Rochester, he was like most of his Swarm teammates and was without a goal, but he did scoop 4 loose balls. With 3 points in 2 weekend games, Thompson has 49 points (22-27) through 14 games this season.
3) Jeremy Noble (Colorado Mammoth): OK, so the right-handed forward out of Orangeville, Ontario, cooled off a bit with “just” 2 assists in Friday’s home overtime win over Calgary. He also scooped 6 LBs in the win, then had 4 assists in Saturday’s road loss to Calgary to give him 24 points (8-16) through 5 games.
5) Tyler Melnyk (Edmonton Rush): The left-handed forward out of Calgary was a scratch for Friday’s home overtime win over Vancouver. He was in the lineup for Saturday’s road win over Vancouver and registered 2 assists and 2 loose balls.
6) Mark Cockerton (New England Black Wolves): The left-handed forward out of Oshawa wasn’t in Friday’s lineup for the road loss to Minnesota. But he was back in the lineup for Saturday’s road win over Buffalo and contributed 2 goals, 1 assist, 5 loose balls and 1 forced turnover.
8) Alexis Buque (Colorado Mammoth): He made his NLL debut as a starter last week and won, then followed that with 39 saves, 2 in overtime, in Friday’s home win over Calgary. He was back in net for Saturday’s road game against the Riggers and made 39 saves again, but he also gave up 14 goals to absorb his first NLL loss.
9) Jerome Thompson (Buffalo Bandits): The left-handed forward out of Nedrow, N.Y., had 1 goal, 2 assists and 2 loose balls in Saturday’s home loss to England. The goal was his first since Feb. 28, but he’s played in only 3 games over that stretch.
The rest of the rooks: Minnesota D Patrick Miles scooped 5 loose balls and forced 2 turnovers in Friday’s home win over New England … New England D Sheldon Burns scooped 6 loose balls and forced 1 turnover in Friday’s road loss to Minnesota … New England D Bill O’Brien forced 1 turnover in Friday’s road loss to Minnesota, then had 2 LBs and 2 forced turnovers in Saturday’s road win over Buffalo … Colorado T Clam Flint scooped 2 loosies and forced 1 turnover in Friday’s home overtime win over Calgary, his first game his new team since he was traded by Minnesota. He was not in the lineup for Saturday’s road loss to Calgary … Colorado D Mike Woods forced 2 turnovers in Friday’s home overtime win over Calgary, then had 2 more in Saturday’s road loss to the Riggers … Vancouver G Eric Penney made 39 saves, but was charged with all 15 goals against in Friday’s road overtime loss to Edmonton. He was back in the cage for Saturday’s home loss to the Rush, making 50 saves on 67 shots … Vancouver T Brandon Clelland had 3 LBs and 1 forced turnover in Friday’s road overtime loss to Edmonton. He had 2 loose balls in Saturday’s home loss to the Rush … New England F Josh Johnson played his first game since March 14 and had 2 goals and forced a turnover in Saturday’s road win over Buffalo. His second goal, at 5:16 of the…
Click here for the full list of players on the NLL Rookie Report for Week 14 by Bob Chavez on IL Indoor.